Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Insulin Disaster

It was after Thanksgiving and I had just returned to school. I was back to work getting all sorts of stuff done. Finals were quickly approaching. 
I was foolish. I wasn't even thinking about the fact that I have T1D. 
That morning, I took my insulin and realized I was finished with that pen. I went to my mini-fridge to get a new pen when I realized that I had left them all at home. My mom had picked up my insulin and was going to give it to me over Thanksgiving, but in all the hustle and bustle, both of us had forgotten. 
We were right in the middle of the first snowstorm of the season on the day I realized that I didn't have enough insulin. My mom couldn't drive down. 
In retrospect, I wasn't in that much danger, but at the time, it felt like I was at death's door. 
At first, I thought about taking my old basal insulin, but that would mean different doses which I didn't remember the numbers for. 
My mom suggested getting in touch with the endocrinologists and getting my insulin sent to the nearest CVS. That's all well and good, but what if it doesn't make it in time? What if the insurance doesn't cover this? What if I can't get a ride there? What if, what if, what if!!!!
Well, the insulin got sent over the next day. Both my friend, Pauline, and I were able to get to the CVS before lunchtime. She was fine driving me over. She even got some Christmas stuff for a little party we were planning. The insurance covered everything.

Sometimes, it feels like the whole world is falling apart. It isn't, but that's what it feels like. It's scary because you think, "These people aren't going to care if you don't have the money or the ability to get what you need. They don't care that I'm sick. They only care about taking care of themselves and I understand." 
But my friend cared. I had a few people that offered to take me to CVS to get my insulin.
The endocrinologists cared. They got my insulin shipped there as fast as possible. 
The fear sets in when you think you're alone. When you think "I'm the one with the disease so it's on me and only me." It's not. No one wants to see you fail. You're important to a lot of people. Stay strong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment