Thursday, December 22, 2016

Dexcom Problems

Remember the insulin disaster I told you about yesterday?
Yeah, settle down, I got another story.

It was the Friday before finals week. My friend Pauline, and I were having a Christmas party in our dorm. It was just a small party: we exchanged gifts with a few friends, built gingerbread houses, played card games, and watched The Grinch.
In the middle of all of this, I was fighting with my Dexcom.
The Dexcom transmitter battery was dead. It had been three months since I had gotten the Dexcom, so this was normal. It just meant getting my new transmitter out and putting that in instead. I read the directions and tried to get the new one to work, but it just wasn't happening. I thought that I must have been doing something wrong. I was a newbie at this...
So, I decide that for the Christmas party, I wasn't going to worry about this. I was going to take care of it in the morning. Next morning, I call the Dexcom office. The guy at the tech phone walked me through everything. Nothing seemed to work and to top it all off, my receiver wasn't working either.
I had already used one sensor the night before and I had taken it out because things didn't seem to be working. The tech guy suggested I put a new sensor in and try again.
Still nothing.
What had I done?
It turns out there was a batch of Dexcom transmitters that just weren't hooking up to Bluetooth. The man from Dexcom apologized to me, but I was just relieved that it wasn't my fault.
So I had stabbed myself twice just to find out that it was a manufacturing problem and that I would be without my Dexcom for all of finals week.
No problem.
Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment