Friday, October 28, 2016

A Letter to an Old Friend

I recently heard from a friend from my youth who has had T1D for a long as I've known her. I'll call her Ace Silver just in case she doesn't want her name to be out there on the internet.
When I got diagnosed, I thought of three things: Ace Silver, the fact that she always had diet soda at her house, and all the needles and blood testing she had to do. I thought, "I can't have diabetes! Ace already has it!" as if because Ace had diabetes, I was somehow exempt from getting it.

I have a friend here at college who is both diabetic and a twin (of which I am both). I walked back with her from a fun Halloween celebration. It some ways, I feel like I'm cheating when it comes to diabetes. I got it now, when there are so many medical advances and things aren't as difficult. I mean, it still sucks, but not as much as it used to. And I didn't have to deal with the public school system!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I was ignorant back then when it came to diabetes. I didn't really understand or else I didn't listen or pay attention. I had no idea what it was like. When I got this, suddenly all these people that I didn't know were T1D found me. Now I'm going to try to make sure that others know about what we are going through. I don't want people to be ignorant of what it's like to be T1D. It's not like Type 2. I'm going to speak up for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment