Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Future With T1D

If everything I've heard is true, I will have this disease for the rest of my life. From now on until forever, it's all about counting carbs, taking shots, and staying on top of my blood sugar levels. It's quite daunting. I'd like to believe that in the next five years, a cure will be found and everything will go back to normal, but in case that isn't in the cards, there are still some things I'm looking forward to when it comes to my diabetes.

1) My math will definitely get faster. I'm already seeing a difference in how quickly I can do simple addition. (I only started to notice it in my statistics class when I finished all of my work before anyone else.)

2) I'm hoping that I gain the ability to just look at a meal and say "That will probably be 3 units worth of insulin". I wait for that skill. It would be really helpful at my college (where they don't give you a carb count for their food...)

3) Time will most certainly make me more confident in taking my shots. I'm still getting used to giving myself shots in my arm.

It doesn't make things better. My pancreas is still broken, but maybe it will be easier in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment